Income Classification: 2nd Class
Congressional District: 3rd District
No. of Barangays: 17
Land Area: 7,651.99 has.
Population (Projected HH Population, 2015): 97,714
Registered Voters (COMELEC, December 10, 2015): 34,676
Newly Elected Local Officials (2016 Election)
Calauan is a second class Municipality in the Province of Laguna, Philippines. According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 74,890 people. The town got its name from the term kalawang, which means rust. Folklore has it that the town got its name when the Spanish started construction of the Municipal Church and water seeped in from the holes dug into the ground for the Church's foundation. The water was colored brown and rusty in character hence the name Calauan (Kalawang). Calauan is known for the Pineapple Festival, which is celebrated every 15 May. The Patron Saint Calauan is Isidore the Laborer, the patron of farmers, known in Spanish as San Isidro Labrador. Two of the popular destinations in the area include the Field of Faith situated in Brgy. Lamot 2 and the Isdaan Floating Restaurant located along the National Highway going to Victoria Laguna
The fertile soil of Calauan attracted attention of Captain Juan de Salcedo, when he passed through Laguna and Tayabas (now Quezon) on his way to Bicol Region in 1570. Ten years later, Spanish authorities established a town government two kilometers from the site of the present Poblacion, in what is now Barrio Mabacan. They called the townsite “Calauan” (tagalong word for rust). Following in epidemic in 1703, the town was moved to its present site at the fork of three roads --- now to the southwest leading to San Pablo City, the other southeastward to Sta. Cruz, the provincial capital, and the third going North to Manila.
It is said that a rich woman of Calauan paid for the construction of a concrete church in 1787, and the archbishop in Manila installed San Isidro Labrador and San Roque, whose feast day of May 15, as Patron Saint of the town. At the turn of 18th century, when Bay was designated as the provincial capital of Laguna, Calauan became a sitio of Bay. Merchants going to Southern Luzon usually pass through Bay and Calauan. One of them, an opulent Spaniard by the name of Iñigo in 1812 bought large tracts of land in Calauan. The landholdings of Iñigo and, later, of his heirs were so vast that many portions were still unsettled. The property was and still is, known as Hacienda Calauan. About a century later, the people of Calauan fought a “guardia civil” during the Philippine Revolution. Basilio Geiroza (better known as Cabesang Basilio) and his men routed a battalion of “guardia civiles” in a five-hour battle in Bario Cupangan (now Lamot I) in December 1897. During the subsequent Philippine-American hostilities, Calauan patriots fought numerically superior forces of General Otis in Barrio San Diego of San Pablo. With the establishment of civilian authority in Calauan in 1902, the Americans assigned Mariano Marfori as first “presidente”. Hacienda Calauan finance a construction of a hospital in 1926, and Mariano O. Marfori, Jr. son of the first municipal presidente, as hospital director and the resident physician, respectively. (The hospital, unfortunately, was destroyed in World War II and has not been rebuilt since then).
The town got its name from the term “Kalawang” which means rust. It was claimed that for centuries lumps of rust surfaced and drifted gently on a body of water called Macalawang Spring. This spring was situated nearly three (3) kilometers from the town proper.
Another interesting premise upon which the name Calauan was chosen has a little story to tell. During the early part of Spanish sovereignty over the Philippines, there was a village located west of the town where an old man found a cross made of stone. Since Christianity was being introduced in the town, the people felt they should treat such cross with reverence. They held a mass at the spot where the stone cross was found. To the surprised of all, during the celebration of the mass, water sprang out from the exact place where the stone was located. The water was yellowish and “rusty”. To commemorate this mysterious event, the people built a church on this site. They saw to it that altar was constructed right on the spot where the water had sprung out. The village had grown larger and then populated and then became the town proper. Being mostly farmers, the people chose to honor San Isidro Labrador and San Roque as their Patron Saints. May 15 and 16 respectively, have been their celebration dates.
Calauan is a 2nd class municipality has an area of about 7,458.6629 hectares more or less of land and lies in the central part of Laguna. It is bounded on the North by Laguna de Bay, on the South by San Pablo City, on the East by municipality of Nagcarlan and on the West by municipality of Bay. It is 75 kilometers from Manila, 21 kilometers from Sta. Cruz, Laguna and 5 kilometers from its neighboring town, Bay. It is conveniently accessible by land transportation.
Major Income Sources: Agricultural Production (irrigated rice, corn, lanzones, rambutan, pineapple, banana); Livestock and Poultry Production; Fishing Grounds and Aquaculture Production, Commerce and Trade (Wholesale and Retail Trade, Hotel, Restaurants and Eateries, Real Estate, Renting, Business Activities and Manufacturing)
Tourist Destinations: Isdaan Floating Restaurant, Hidden Valley Springs, Lucidel Fishing Resort and Restaurant, Calumbahin Resort, Junnits’ Resort, Samland Villa, Field of Faith Sanctuary of Prayer & Reflection, Word of Life Camp & Conference Center, Samaral Sea Food Restaurant, Wondoo Mak Korean Cuisine, Keril Anne’s Snack Bar, Wood Bridge Pizza, Iskargu Restaurant, MajGell Resort, Junnit’s Resort, SamLand Villa, Gapit Resort, Hacienda Macalauan Inc. , Nanay Bamboo Grill and Retreat House
Special Events/Festivals: Pinya Festival, Fiesta Celebration By Barangays
Address: Municipal Hall, A Marfori St.,Barangay Silangan, Caluan, Laguna
Phone: (049) 568-0012
Email Address: lgucalauan.gmail.com