City of Dasmariñas
Income Classification: 1st Class
Congressional District: 4th District (Lone District)
No. of Barangays: 75
Land Area: 9,013 has.
Population (NSO, May 1, 2010): 575,817
Registered Voters (COMELEC, January 2016): 326,070
Newly Elected Local Officials (2016 Election)
Located 30 kms. south of Manila and 12 kms from the provincial capitol, the city is known as the “University Capital of Cavite” and classified as one of the most competitive cities in the country today and the home of approximately 750,000 (2015) peace-loving, hospitable and hardworking inhabitants. There are three (3) ecozones, namely : First Cavite Industrial Estates (FCIE), Molave Compound and Dasmariñas Technopark. It has a total of 638 kilometers road network.
The City of Dasmarinas became a chartered city upon the passage of RA 9723 on October 15, 2009 converting the Municipality of Dasmarinas Province of Cavite into a component city, which was ratified through a plebiscite conducted in November 25, 2009 and was proclaimed a city on November 26, 2009.
The City of Dasmariñas started as a barrio of Imus, and in 1867 it was made as an independent municipality. The Spanish Government named the town Perez Dasmariñas in honor of the Spanish Governor General of the islands from 1590-1593. 250 Chinese oarsmen whom he had hired to work murdered him. His son, Don Luis Perez Dasmariñas, also lost his life in the hands of the Chinese in 1603 Don Gomez Perez Dasmariñas was well remembered because he was the one who initiated the fortification of Intramuros and Fort Santiago.
Perez Dasmariñas was formerly a “visita” of Imus, which was founded by the Recollect Fathers in 1795. The Camarin de Piedra owned by the Recollectors was used as the first church of Dasmariñas upon its division while the residents were constructing a new one. According to records, the first settlers must have arrived in 1861 and were believed to be the families of Gil Tirona, Vicente Guevarra, Eleuterio Geda and Eustaquio Paulme.
The town of Dasmariñas became a bloody battlefield during the Revolution in 1896-1897. After capturing the town on February 25, 1897, the Spaniards burned all the houses and buildings in the Poblacion except the Catholic Church. Hundreds of its inhabitants died in the fighting. Noted Filipino Generals like Flaviano Yengko and Crispulo Aguinaldo died in action during the aforesaid encounters.
In 1905, during the early American Regime, the town of Dasmariñas became again a barrio of Imus and remained a part of the said town until 1907 when it was again made a separate municipality during the incumbency of Provincial Governor Antero Soriano. In that year, the name Perez was dropped or deleted through the efforts of Capt. Placido Campos, Francisco Barzaga and Felipe Tirona. The growing congestion and outward urban expansion of the Metropolitan Manila Area has set-up a favorable development atmosphere for the town. As one of Cavite’s lowland towns situated within the Metro Manila urban influenced area the improvement of growth corridors and road linkages converged within the area, thus providing for its rapid development. The changing outlook of the town as a traditional agricultural town to a fast urbanizing town serves as telltale a sign of its fast-paced development.
Now, with a population of about 379,520 people and with the development of the resettlement areas virtually give impetus for a new town. The town now is experiencing the establishment of several large educational and health institutions, the influx of industries and subdivision developments. Apparently, the town’s economy and its development trend are progressively being re-structured and re-oriented towards urban progress.
The City is landlocked. It has a slope of 0-18% accounting for about 81% the total area while the remaining 19% are with slopes of 18% and above. It is situated on the northeastern part of Cavite Province along the eastern provincial boundaries with Laguna. It is bounded on the North by the Municipalities of Imus and Bacoor, on the East by the Municipalities of San Pedro & G.M.A. and City of Muntinlupa, on the South by the Municipality of Silang and on the West by the Municipality of Gen. Trias. The approximate total land area is 9,013 hectares.
Major Income Sources: Services, Commerce, Trade and Industries
Tourist Destinations: Immaculate Concepcion Parish, DC Park, Museo de La Salle, Volet’s Hotel and Resort, Riverside Resort, Tubigan Garden Resort, Medz Resort and Restaurant, Qubo Qabana Resort, Palmas del Sol Resort Hotel and Resto Bar, Kalipayan Resort, Swiss Resort, Res Seven Resort and Spa, Fisher’s Farm Resort, Green and Saddle Farm Resort, Rhodora Ville Resort and Restaurant, Jardin de Dasmariñas Resort and Restaurant, Blumen Resort, Double V Resort
Special Events/Festivals: Feast of St. Agustin (August 28), Dasmariñas Day (October 5), Paru-paro Festival (November 26), Feast of the Immaculate Concepcion (December 8)
Address: City Hall, City of Dasmariñas
Phone: (046) 416-0095; 416-0094
Fax: (046) 416-3898