City of Imus
Income Classification: 3rd Class
Congressional District: 3rd District (Lone District)
No. of Barangays: 97
Land Area: 5.314.60 has.
Population (NSO, May 1, 2010): 301,624
Registered Voters (COMELEC, January 2015): 183,960
Newly Elected Local Officials (2016 Election)
The City of Imus is a mixture of history and economic development. It is known as the Flag Capital because the first Philippine Flag was unfurled and raised during the Battle of Alapan held on May 28, 1898. On the other hand, it is recognized by the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) as the “Retail Capital” and awarded as the 3rd Most Competitive Component City (Overall) and 2nd Most Competitive City in Economic Dynamism by the National Competitiveness Council (NCC). It also boasts of its good leadership being a recipient of the Seal of Good Local Governance (SGLG) conferred by the Department of the Interior and Local Government.
It was proclaimed as a City on June 30, 2012 by virtue of RA 10161 which became the accelerating point of trading, commercial and industrial activities in the locality. It is home for big corporations like Liwayway Corporation and San Miguel – Yamamura Asia Corporation. It is considered as one of the fast growing cities with an average annual growth rate of 22% during the last three years. Its growth is attributed to its proximity to Manila, economic friendliness and availability of manpower resources from its vocational school.
The Province of Cavite has been identified as a Cradle of Philippine Independence. Like other towns in the historical province, the City of Imus has a colourful and glorious past.
From the late sixteenth century, the colonial resettlement program designed to integrate Filipinos into the religious and political institutions of the Spaniards was implemented across wide areas of what came to be known in 1614 as the province of Cavite. Silang was established as a mission town in 1595, Cavite Viejo or Kawit in 1600, the port of Cavite and San Roque in 1615, Indang in 1655, Bacoor in 1671, Maragondon in 1727, San Francisco de Malabon in 1748, Sta Cruz de Malabon or Tanza in 1770, Imus in 1775 and Naic in 179 (MacAndrew, 1994). These towns became centers of religious and economic activities in the first centuries of Spanish colonial rule.
Imus used to be a “visita” of Cavite Viejo, one of the oldest administrative units of Cavite. Cavite Viejo was under the administration of the Jesuits until 1686 when the Recollects took over Imus. Efforts were then directed in seeking emancipation from the ecclesiastical and civil administration of Cavite Viejo, until Imus was completely liberated.
The ecclesiastical land that tied Imus to Cavite Viejo since the early part of the 17th century was covered by the Royal Order of October 30, 1776. This Royal Decree was considered as the first step in the creation of the Municipality of Imus. It ordered the rebuilding of the Recollect Church and likewise a convent in Imus. The Recollects, not contented with the religious emancipation of Imus from Cavite Viejo, sought its eventual political separation. Imus finally became an independent municipality in 1795.
And by the end of the Spanish era, the lowlands of Cavite Province were occupied by five (5) friar estates: Hacienda of Imus (Recollect), Hacienda of San Francisco de Malabon (Augustinian), Hacienda of San Nicolas (Recollect), Hacienda of Sta, Cruz de Malabon (Dominican) and Hacienda of Naic (Dominican). The development of these friar estates was greatly resisted by the indigenous population. They perceived then that these estates lessened their access and control of their land resources.
In Cavite, the revolt of 1896 had roots in agrarian unrest on the friar estates. As this intensified into a rebellion against the Spaniards, the Caviteños, particularly those from Imus, actively participated.
The historical heritage of the municipality is best exemplified by the first battle of the revolution and the defeat of the Spanish forces. The town also stood witness to the rise of Emilio Aguinaldo from a mere flag lieutenant to a general and an acknowledged leader of the revolutionaries. The first flag of the revolution was unfurled and blessed in a mass held in Imus. It was in barangay Alapan I on May 28, 1898 where the Philippine Flag, sewn in Hongkong, was raised to commemorate a victory over the Spaniards. The Battle of Alapan stepped up the pace of the revolution as it snatched the faltering revolution from total collapse. This battle perked up the morale of the revolutionaries and spread throughout the towns of Cavite and the whole of Luzon.
While the 1900s signalled the end of the Spanish era, a Second World War in 1945 resulted in great losses in the economic and social sphere. From the ruins created by the Second World War, the need to rebuild, organize and bring back order to a town was successfully undertaken. This marked the gradual rise of the Municipality of Imus and its metamorphosis from a sleepy town to a very dynamic municipality.
Before the late 1970s and early 1980s, capital investment in Imus and in the whole Cavite Province was negligible. Then in the 80s, huge capital outlays were channeled into the municipality to effect a rapid transformation of the countryside into industrial estates, agribusiness farms and residential subdivisions. During the period 1980-1986, Imus had strove hard to become a first class municipality. And its efforts paid off in 1986 when the Municipality of Imus was classified as a First Class Municipality.
The Municipality of Imus became a City on June 30, 2012 by virtue of RA 10161. To date, the City of Imus, together with the whole Province of Cavite, is waging a second revolution in order to regain the social, economic and political status it had attained over the past years. This dynamic peaceful revolution is geared towards the enhancement of the economic welfare of its people through equitable industrialization, agricultural modernization, tourism development and balanced urbanization.
The City of Imus is one of the lowland towns in the Province of Cavite. It is approximately 18 kilometers from Manila and can be reached either through Binakayan, a barangay of Kawit or through the Cavite Coastal Road and Gen. Aguinaldo Highway that leads to Tagaytay City. Five (5) towns bound the municipality: on the north is the town of Kawit; on the northeast is Bacoor; on the west is General Trias; on the south is the Municipality of Dasmarinas; and on the east is Muntinlupa.
Major Income Sources: Commercial Services, Industrial, and Agriculture
Tourist Destinations: City Plaza, Imus Historical Marker (located at Imus City Plaza), Imus Cathedral, Site of the Battle of Alapan (located at Alapan II-A & B), Bridge of Isabel II, Camp General Pantaleon Garcia (Arsenal of Imus and Imus Historical Museum), Battle of Julian Bridge Marker, and House of Tirona
Special Events/Festivals: Wagayway Festival, Battle of Alapan (National Flag Day), Declaration of Philippine Independence, Cityhood Anniversary, Battle of Imus, Imus Octoverload, Araw ng Imus, Feast Day of Nuestra Señora Del Pilar, and Paskuhan sa Imus
Address: City Hall, Poblacion IV-B, City of Imus
Phone: (046) 471-2984
Fax: (046) 471-2732