City of Santa Rosa
Income Classification: 1st Class
Congressional District: 1st District
No. of Barangays: 18
Land Area: 5,484 has.
Registered Voters (COMELEC, May 2016): : 181,664
Newly Elected Local Officials (2016 Election)
The City of Santa Rosa, known as the Investment Capital of South Luzon, is strategically located at the heart of the country’s industrialized region. It is situated along the south corridor of Luzon approximately 40 kilometers south of Manila. The City’s fast urbanization had attracted diverse migration resulting to the continuous increase in population.
In 1571, the Spanish Conquistador Juan de Salcedo, the grandson of Miguel de Legazpi, while exploring the Laguna Lake Region, discovered Biñan which was hence annexed as a barrio to the town of Tabuco (now the town of Cabuyao). During that time, Santa Rosa was part of Biñan and was called Barrio Bucol, in turn, was politically emancipated in January 18, 1792 as the Municipality of Santa Rosa. The town was named after Saint Rosa of Lima of Peru under whose protection and patronage it was consecrated.
During the revolutionary period, Santa Rosa was instrumental in the proclamation of Philippine Independence from Spain when it signed the Act of Independence on June 12, 1898. Late on, the town’s local revolutionaries fought alongside the forces of General Pio del Pillar during the short lived Filipino-American War. After being briefly occupied by the Japanese during World war II, Santa Rosa was liberated by members of the guerilla resistance movement on February 5, 1945.
During the post war era until 1970’s, the people of the municipality were still largely dependent on basic agriculture and family-owned enterprises for livelihood. The influence of influence of industrialization slowly took shape in the 1980’s with the entry of local and foreign investors who were instrumental in the rapid economic and social transformation of the town, Some of which are the establishment of the Filipinas Synthetic Fiber Corporation (FILSYN), Consolidated Industrial Gases, Inc. (GICI) and other small multinational companies.
From a fourth class municipality in 1986, Santa Rosa became a first town in 1993. And by virtue of RA 9264, Santa Rosa officially became a City on July 10, 2004. Currently, the City enjoys the status of a major residential, commercial and industrial center in the CALABARZON, the most dynamic region in the country today.
The City of Santa Rosa is Located along the South corridor of Luzon or about 40 kilometers South of Manila. It is a strategic and ideal place for local and foreign entrepreneurs due to its proximity to Metro Manila. It is bounded on the North West by the town of Biñan; on the south and southwest by Cabuyao and West by Silang and Tagaytay City in Cavite. It lies 50 kilometers North West of Santa Cruz, the capital town of Laguna.
Major Income Sources: Manufacturing, Tourism spot and Services
Tourist Destinations: Enchanted Kingdom, SM Santa Rosa, Robinson’s Mall, Target Mall, Paseo de Santa Rosa, Waltermart, Nuvali and Brunswick
Special Events/Festivals: Sikhayan Festival (January 18) and Santa Rosa City Fiesta Celebration (April 30)
Address: City Hall, Santa Rosa City
Phone: (049) 530-0015