Income Classification: 4th Class
Congressional District: 3rd District
No. of Barangays: 21
Land Area: 3,378 has.
Population (NSO, May 1, 2016): 34,962
Registered Voters (COMELEC, 2016): 21,655
Newly Elected Local Officials (2016 Election)
Nestling in the form of a semi-circle at the southern foot of the highest peak in the province made famous by great men like Mabini, Malvar, Agoncillo, Ilustre, Kalaw, Orense , Laurel, Recto, Diokno, De Joya and Ozaeta, among others is the poblacion where Batanguenos call their hometown, the Muncipality of Cuenca.
This town, which carries the name given by a Spanish Governor in honor of his birthplace. Cuenca is at the heart of Batangas Province.
Cuenca now, as a 4th Class Municipality has a Vision Blessed by a conserved and fully harnessed Mt. Maculot and Taal Lake, an agro-based economy, Cuenca is a self-sufficient and self reliant community, living in harmony with God, with each other and with its environment.
The mother town of San Jose was Bauan. Before the barrios of Bungahan, Labac, Dita, Dalipit and Makulot were included in the jurisdiction of San Jose . San Jose could be reached by walking a long way in the forests and fields. Being the mother town, activities such as baptism, confirmation, wedding, burying the dead and paying taxes were done there.
The Cuenqueños were encouraged by the first priest of the place, Father Sotero Hoseña. Those who were assigned Cabeza de Barangay understood the hardships and sufferings of the inhabitants. In 1875 the civic-minded leaders petitioned Gov. Paez of Batangas to make Maculot and other barrios a town. They were Don Juan Laqui, Kapitan Emeterio Laqui, Don Briccio Laqui , Kapitan Celedonio Chavez, Juez Anastacio Chavez, Cabeza Ceferino Carandang, Kapitan Pablo Matibag, Kapitan Basilio Loria and Juez Francisco Loria.
By virtue of the Highest Law of the Land Cuenca became a town on November 7, 1876. Governor Paez named it Cuenca after his hometown in Spain, resembling its climate and green scenery. This town boasts of its natural, historic and cultural attractions.
When the revolution of 1896 broke out, the able-bodied men of Cuenca, headed by Col. Briccio Laqui left their homes and joined the uprising; many of whom were not able to come back home. Foremost among whose who were at the forefront was Briccio Pantas who served as Secretary of Justice in the war cabinet of the Katipunan Supremo, Andres Bonifacio in August 1896.
St. Isidore Parish Church in Cuenca was established in 1979. A parochial school was housed at the church convent where children learned “Katon” and “cathechesis”. They were taught reading, writing and arithmetic. There was peace and the people were contented in farming, fishing and raising pigs and chicken.
In 1902, a public school was opened for Grade 1 pupils. Education then was compulsory. Aside from Education, Roads and Water System were also given importance.
The municipality of Cuenca is located 94 km from Manila and strategically lye at the heart of Batangas Province. It is bounded on the North by Taal Lake, on the East by Lipa City and San Jose, on the South by San Jose, San Pascual and Alitagtagand on the West by Taal Lake and Alitagtag.
Major Income Sources: Agriculture, Fishery, Commercial and Service Centers
Tourist Destinations: Mt. Maculot (Grotto-La Pieta), Mt. Maculot (Rockies-Campsite), Saint Isidore Church, Rendezvous Resort, Tierra Mercedez Resort, Maculot View Resort
Special Events/Festivals: Feast of San Isidro Labrador (May 15), Founding Anniversary (November 7)
Address: Municipal Hall, Cuenca, Batangas
Phone: (043) 740-4674
Fax: (043) 740-4674