Bauan comes from the Tagalog word bauang that means close or concealed and rugged mountain. Bauan was one of the principal barrios of Taal from the late 16th century up to the middle of the 17th century. The original site of the old Bauan (1590–1662) was a place called Tambo, which was along Bonbon, Taal Lake and at the slope of Mt. Macolot. The town was relocated thrice: to Durungao (1662–1671), to Duclap (1671–1690) and then to Tulusan (1690–present). When Bauan was made and transformed to be a legal town, it consisted of the towns of San Jose (formerly called San Jose de Malaking Tubig), Cuenca (then part of San Jose), Alitagtag, Mabini (Calumpang Penunsula), Tingloy (Maricaban Island) and San Pascual (formerly called Lagnas).
Land Area: 5,331 has.
Number of Barangays: 40
Population (NSCB, As of August 1, 2007): 79,831
Income Class: 1st
Seat of Government: Bauan, Batangas
Registered Voters (NSCB, 2004): 46,909
Local Officials (as of July 30, 2013)