Captain Juan de Salcedo discovered Biñan who founded it at the end of June 1571, a month after Miguel Lopez de Legaspi established Manila when he explored the largest freshwater lake in the Philippines and second in Asia. Where Binan got its name is a mystery. Some deduced that before Salcedo proceeded to Cainta and Taytay finally reaching Bay, he landed in Binan. According to the story, Padres Alfonso de Alvarado and Diego Espinar planted a huge wooden cross on the spot where the present day Don Isidro Labrador parish stands and co-celebrated a Thanksgiving Mass. Curious natives gathered and the two Spanish missionaries took advantage of the situation. They baptized each one of them. From then on, old folks say they called the place “Binyagan,” which means a baptismal place. The Spanish tongue’s difficulty in pronouncing the local dialect acquired for the once town its name— "Biñan".
The City of Biñan is located in the Province of Laguna, about 34 kilometers south of Manila. It is bounded on the north by San Pedro on the south by Santa Rosa City and on the west by Carmona, Cavite. On the eastern and northern horizon lies the Laguna de Bay.
Land Area: 4,350 has.
Number of Barangays: 24
Population (NSCB, As of August 1, 2007): 262,735
Income Class: 1st
Major Income Sources: Agriculture, Footwear-making and Making of Puto Biñan
Tourist Destinations: Splash Island, Tibagan Falls and Rizal Monument Plaza
Seat of Government: Biñan City
Congressional District: 1st
Number of Voting Precincts: 7,608
Registered Voters (NSCB, 2004): 132,255
Local Officials (as of July 30, 2013)