Income Classification: 4th Class
Congressional District: 3rd District
No. of Barangays: 33
Land Area: 5,680.65 has.
Population (NSO, 2016): 38,315
Registered Voters (COMELEC, January 2013): 22,090
Newly Elected Local Officials (2016 Election)
Known as the “Footwear Capital of Laguna” and the home of approximately 38,315 peace-loving, hospitable and hardworking inhabitants. It was proclaimed as the footwear capital thru the motion of then Sangguniang Panlalawigan Board Member Hon. Arcadio B. Gapanggada, Jr. thru TL No. 80, S 2003, Resolution No. 405 S 2003 Date approved August 4, 2003
In a manuscript written by Juan Masulong, a son of Gat Tayaw, the founder of the town, which was found in the Spanish Archives in Spain by Dr. Gregorio C. Borlaza, a noted historian and educator from Liliw, it was recounted that when the Spaniards arrived in Bay, Laguna in 1571, Juan Masulong, together with other notables from the neighboring communities went to Bay. He was baptized by Fr. Martin de Rada of Augustinian Order. Thus, Juan Masulong was the first native of Liliw to become a Christian. He told the Spaniards that he came from the flourishing, developed and organized community situated at the Mount Banahaw. Three days after his baptism, Masulong was told by the Spaniards to return to Liliw and tell the people to gather and meet them peacefully.
Although all the natives were baptized during the early part of the Spanish regime, the town did not have permanent parish. From 1578 to 1605, the people had to go to Nagcarlan every Sunday and during feast of different saints to attend to their religious obligations. Because of this inconvenience, the people petitioned to the Father Provincial, Fr. Hernando de Morga, to assign a priest and make Liliw a permanent parish. The petition was granted and assigned Fr. Miguel de San Juan to be its Parish Priest. From then on, Liliw became a regular parish under the patronage of St. John the Baptist. In 1612, during the term of Padre Kalenton as Kapitan Municipal, the construction of wooden church was started. The foundation of the concrete church was laid down during the term of Antonio Kohaguit in 1635. In 1639, the adjacent convent was build when Francisco Camera de Maide de Dios was the parish priest. In 1898, the church was badly damage by fire but it was been restored immediately.
In 1896, wearied by the oppressive rule of the Spaniards, the Filipinos revolted. Many natives of the town joined the Katipunan. Later on, after the surrender of the Spanish forces to the Americans, a number of the surviving Katipuneros joined Philippine Army to fought against the Americans. One of the highlights of the town’s history during this period was the visit of Governor General William Howard Taft in 1903.
As an added attraction, a bamboo tower called torreippel was constructed in front of the town hall. The name of the town “Lilio”, that derived from the humming sound of a bird “ilio–ilio” who hummed the word “iliwiliwiliw” has been approved. And on June 11, 1965, the name “Lilio” was changed to “Liliw” under Municipal Resolution No. 38 and approved by the Provincial Board under Resolution No. 1096-S-1965.
Liliw is one of the highland towns at the southern extremity of the province of Laguna. It is located 110 kms. From Metro Manila via Sta. Cruz and 105 kms. via San Pablo City. The municipality is bounded on the northeast by Magdalena (Laguna); on the northwest by Sta. Cruz (Laguna); on the west by Nagcarlan (Laguna); on the east by Majayjay (Laguna); and on the south by Mount Banahaw and Dolores Quezon. The Municipality of Liliw resemble the island province of Palawan in shape. It is situated on a hilly plain 1,200 ft. above sea level overlooking a great plain sloping gradually downwards towards the shore of Laguna Lake.
Major Income Sources: Manufacturing (Lambanog, Tsinelas, Uraro Biscuit) and Agriculture (Organic)
Tourist Destinations: Kilangin Falls, Liliw Resort, Batis ng Liliw, St John the Baptist Church, Mt. Banahaw Ecological Destinations
Special Events/Festivals: Tsinelas Festival, San Isidro Labrador Fiesta Celebration
Address: Municipal Hall, Gat Tayaw Street, Liliw, Laguna
Phone: (049) 5621-001
Fax: (049) 5631-003