Income Classification: 1st Class
Congressional District: 2nd District
No. of Barangays: 14
Land Area: 5,650 has.
Population (NSO, May 1, 2010): 101,884
Registered Voters (COMELEC, May 2016): 58,361
Newly Elected Local Officials (2016 Election)
Los Baños is not just popular in the Philippines, but in the whole world. The internationally known University of the Philippines Los Baños placed the town of Los Baños in the world map. Mt. Makiling is home to the breathtaking Forest Nursery, and only 350 meters away is the mud spring. This is known to be the volcanic crater of Mt. Makiling. Hikers can also pass along flat rocks and observant point. From thereon, a challenging hike will face the mountaineers to conquer the 3,575-foot majestic fountain. Due to the rich environment and relaxed surroundings, many foreign and local production companies choose Los Baños as a site for location shooting. These are the foreign movies like “Bench Rest”, “Born Losers”, “Too Late the Hero”, “Cherry 2000” and Chuck Norris’ “Missing in Action” and local ones such as “Maharlika”, “Nueva Vizcaya”, “Campus Girls”, “Aguila at Araw”, “White Lady”, “Ninja Kids”, and the now defunct suspense-thriller TV shows, “Spirits” and “Oka Tokat” just to name a few.
Los Baños started as one of the many settlements of the town of Bay in Southern Luzon. It was then called Mainit because of the hot springs coming from Mt. Makiling, a dormant volcano, which is located within its proximity. These springs, which were said to have curative effects, attracted the Spaniards especially the Franciscan Friars. In 1589, Fr. Pedro Bautista established public baths and renamed the place Los Baños that means bathing places in Spanish. By 1595, these friars started clearing portions around these bath houses and constructed a rest house out of rattan and nipa for visitors and sick patients, looking for cure from their ailments. From thereon, the place becomes so popular and some visitors decided to settle in Los Baños.
Los Baños is also a part of our country’s rich history. Certain agricultural lands in Calamba and Los Baños were then owned by the Dominican Friars. Filipinos leased these lands for planting sugarcane and palay crops. Don Francisco Mercado, father of Dr. Jose Rizal, used to lease a large portion of the Dominican lands. Some parcels of these lands were later bought by Rizal. According to a manifest, certain parcels of land in Barangay Putho-Tuntungin were acquired by Paciano Rizal and Leocio Lopez.
The Mt. Makiling forest was a favorite relaxation spot of Dr. Jose Rizal. He scoured the jungles with friend Lieutenant Travil de Andrade, a Spanish bodyguard assigned to him by the Spanish captain-general. Later on, they were suspected of hoisting a German flag on the peak of Mt. Makiling that irked the Spanish authorities. They also suspected Rizal of spying for the Germans. In 1897, the great paralytic Apolinario Mabini spent a few days in Los Baños, for therapy on the hot springs. During his stay, he prepared plans for the revolution against the Spaniards. Unfortunately, his plans failed to push through since the Americans arrived and fought the Spaniards. The United States gained their rights on the Philippine Islands through the Treaty of Paris. Under this treaty, the Philippine Islands, along with Guam and Puerto Rico were annexed from Spain in the amount of $20,000.00.
In 1571, Fr. Martin de Rada, the superior of the Agustinian religious order who came with the Legaspi expedition in 1565, started to build a bamboo and nipa church under the patronage of Saint Augustine along the lakeshore of Bay (i.e. Aplaya, now San Antonio). He became the first parish priest of Bay. On April 30, 1578, Fr. Joaquin de Zuniega stated in the Historical view of the Philippine Island that Bay was organized both as a town and a parish with Fray Juan Gallegos as the parish priest. On the same day, the village of Sampaloc (now San Pablo) was made a visita of the lake side village where it was believed that the tribunal of Ecclesiastical visitors of Bay was held. Fray Gaspar de San Agustin further wrote that in 1586, the Agustinian Fathers organized the visita into a convent with a priest. The provincial Father Diego Alvarez to handle the administration of the Christian natives. Thus Sampaloc which came to be known as San Pablo de los Montes, ceased to be part of the Bay parish.
Los Baños is one of the 30 Local Government Units of the province of Laguna. The town lays between the shore of Laguna de B/ay (the biggest lake in the Philippines) and the legendary Mt. Makiling. It has a bearing of 14° 11’ North (longitude) and 121°15’ East (latitude). It is situated about 63 kilometers away from Manila, the capital of the Philippines, and is bounded on the East by Bay, Laguna; on the South by Sto. Tomas, Batangas; on the West by Calamba City, Laguna and Laguna Lake on the North.
Major Income Sources: Commercial and Service Centers, Agriculture, Fishery
Tourist Destinations: Arisabel Clubhouse, Boy Scouts Jamboree Camp, Agua Paraiso Hot Spring, City of Springs, Girl Scouts of the Philippines, Argon Resort, Hillspa Resort, Horizon View Hotspring, Immaculate Swimming Pool, Lakeview Health Resort Hotel, Lakewoods Swimming Pool, La Maria Spring Resort, La Roca De Trinidad Resort, Inc., Libis ng Nayon Resort, Los Baños Lodge and Hot Springs, Maligaya Resort, Maquiling Breeze Resort, Palm Spring Resort, Pook ni Ma. Makiling, Pook ni Tanya, Ralph's Hot Spring and Garden Resort, RV Resort, Splash Mountain Resort, Teakwood Ridge Resort, Villa Andir's Private Pool, Villa Cunrada, Villa de Javier, Villa Margarita, Villa Maricar, Villa Teresita, Windy Hill Resort, Dampalit Falls, Contilu Vacation & Retreat House, JCCSI Mini Resort, Marahaim Resort, Villa Grandiosa Resort & Garden, Makiling, Onsen Hotel, Tierra De Lago, Casa Cecilia Private Pool, Sentosa Elenita Private Resort, and Villa Las Vegas Private Pool.
Special Events/Festivals: “Bañamos” Festival Celebration
Address: Municipal Hall, National Highway cor. PCAARRD Road, Brgy. Timugan, Los Baños, Laguna
Phone: (049) 530-2585 (Mayor’s Office) / (049) 530-2981 (LB Action Center)
Fax: (049) 530-2585