Income Classification: 4th Class
Congressional District: 4th District
No. of Barangays: 23
Land Area: 8,096.33 has.
Population (NSO, May 1, 2010): : 17,109
Registered Voters (COMELEC, January 2013): 13,440
Newly Elected Local Officials (2016 Election)
The Municipality of Luisiana is located in southern part of Laguna. It lies approximately between 14°09’00” to 14°13’20” north latitude and 121°28’20” to 121°36’30” east longitude. It is approximately 108 kilometers from Metro Manila and about 24 kilometers from Sta. Cruz, the capital town of Laguna. Luisiana is bounded by the Municipality of Cavinti in the north, Municipalities of Majayjay and Magdalena on the west, on the east by the Municipalities of Sampaloc and Lucban in Quezon on the south.
Luisiana was once part of a place called Terreno de Nasunog, which was divided into three areas, where each area became a part of the adjacent towns. The three parts were: Nasunog de Lucban, Nasunog de Cavinti and Nasunog de Majayjay. All three areas became the town of Luisiana after a difficult and long fight by our forefathers. In 1825, Don Luis Bernardo, one of Nasunog de Majayjay's recognized leaders, initiated a move to establish it as a town and a parish separate and independent from Majayjay,Laguna.asunog de Majayjay was elevated to a parish (visita) in 1832, and was named Visita de Luisiana. Finally, on April 3, 1854, 29 years later, Visita de Luisiana was granted ecclesiastical independence by the Governor-General (The Marques de Novaliches) with the corresponding approval from the Archbishop of Manila, having Don Marcos Bartolome as its first interim parish priest. Thus, the town of Luisiana was born, taking the name which for a long time was already adopted in honor of the "father of the town," Don Luis Bernardo and his wife, Doña Ana (Luis y Ana).
During the 1600’s, there was a vast land area in Laguna, known as Terreno de Nasunog or Lupain ng Nasunog in Tagalog. In 1678, when the mayor of Laguna was Don Antonio Nieto, Terreno de Nasunog was divided into three parts: Nasunog de Lucban, Nasunog de Cavinti, and Nasunog de Majayjay. The town of Luisiana was formerly a barrio of Majayjay called "Nasunog de Majayjay". It had been part of Majayjay for sometime but because it took from two to four hours to travel to Majayjay, the people of Nasunog de Majayjay led by Don Luis Bernardo petitioned that the place should become a separate town with it's own church, municipality and market.
On October 9, 1837, Governor General Andres Garcia Camba of the Spanish government issued a decree declaring Nasunog de Majayjay as a Visita (parish). A parish was entitled to an administrator with the title of Tenyente Absoluto. The first elected Tenyente Absoluto was Don Luis Bernardo. A church was built in the piece of land donated by Don Juan de San Jose, followed by the construction of a school house and an administration office. For the parish to become a town, it has to comply with Article 83 of an Ordinance for Good Governance. It required a town plaza and well laid road network. Compliance with these requirements encouraged many people to migrate to the town center.
Independence came in April 3, 1854 when both the Governor General of the Spanish Administration and the Archbishop of Manila issued an official Decree No. 1827 declaring that Luisiana is absolutely free of its civil and spiritual obligation from Majayjay.In 1903, the towns of Cavinti and Luisiana were combined into one municipality. Pedro Villanueva of Cavinti was elected mayor and it was during his term that the Aglipay Church was founded in April, 1904. However, on November 12, 1907 under the leadership of Don Blas Oracion and through representations made at the Civil Commission, the independence of Cavinti and Luisiana from each town were restored.
The geologic conditions and landforms in Luisiana, Laguna are depicted by four major landforms, namely upland plateau, minor alluvial plains, ballistic hills and pyroclastic hills. Luisiana is part of the Caliraya Plateau with its regional landscape developed from the weathering and ejected quaternary andesites and ballistic pyroclastics from the mount Banahaw. Minor alluvial plains can be seen on the foot of small and highly dicted pyroclastic hills due to long ballistic flows are linked with fissure eruptions.
Major Income Sources: Pandan Weaving, Cacao Production (Tablea Processing)
Tourist Destinations: Simbahang Bato(Cave), Talong Malaog Falls, Bombongan Falls, Butas Kabag Cave, Talong Malayong Falls, Talong Mababa Falls, Maapon Falls, Pinagsukuan Site, Hulugan Falls, Talay Falls, Talon ng Aliw, Apugan Site, Lagaslas, Tipakan Site, Pinagbabay-anan Site
Special Events/Festivals: Pandanan Festival
Address: Municipal Hall, Rizal Street cor Mabini Street Luisiana,Laguna
Phone: (049) 555-4538 / (049) 503-6208