Income Classification: 4th Class
Congressional District: 4th District
No. of Barangays: 40
Land Area: 6,958 has.
Population (NSO, May 1, 2010): 26,547
Registered Voters (COMELEC): 17,074
Newly Elected Local Officials (2016 Election)
In the early pre-Spanish days, good roads were non-existent and Majayjay could then only be reached from the neighbouring town by the way of small trails passing through gorges and ravines and across rivers. These trails were for the most part, tortuous, considering the high elevation of the place and travellers had to make several stops to the rest before they could reach the town. When the Spaniards under Juan Salcedo came to subjugate the town, they took with them many porters who carried their luggage and at each stop these porters, because of their heavy burdens, gasped “hay-hay”. The Spaniards heard the word “hay-hay” that emanate from the tired end catching their breath. It was from this gasping sound “hay-hay”, that the name Majayjay originated; the first syllable “ma” of which means many. Some say that in the old days, to reach this town one had to undergo many “hay-hay”. The use “j” (jota) instead of “h” was also a Spanish influence.
The Municipality of Majayjay was established in the year 1571. The founders and first officials all belong to the wealthy and prominent families. These were Gaspar Osorio, Agustin Osorio, Juan Malio, Juan de Mendoza, Ventura Mag-olop, Aman Lingasan and Martin Liasip. The religiosity of the people during the early years of the municipality was manifested in their devotion to the construction of the church. Women and children used early bricks from the brick making site at the site of construction. The present church, which was the sixth and the last church constructed under the Spaniards in 1711, still stands today.
It is considered one of the biggest churches in the entire Philippines. The adjoining convent I spacious and its windows facing north have a commanding view of Laguna Bay. It took 19 years to finish this big church and when completed in 1730 it cost to the town people 26,000 Mexican dollars. This exempted them from paying tributes or taxes for four (4) consecutive years. Another historical landmark and cultural heritage under the Spanish is the “tribunal” at the intersection of Blumentritt and A. del Rosario St., It was devoted by the government to become an “Ermita” for the “Nuestra Senora de la Porteria”. The image of the Blessed Virgin displayed in the Ermita today was painted and brought over by the missionaries in 1759.
About 50 years after, the present municipality of Majayjay, sitting atop the hill at the foot of Mt. Banahaw is on the threshold of development. The people and its government have joined hands to achieve and attain what it is today.
The Municipality of Majayjay lies on geographic coordinates of 121 degree 28’ northeast latitude and 14 degree 08’ northeast longitude. It is located at 21 km. from Sta. Cruz, the Provincial Capital of Laguna Province, and is bounded on the north and northeast by the municipalities of Pagsanjan and Luisiana, to the south and southeast by the Mt. Banahaw and the municipality of Lucban, Quezon Province, to the west by the municipalities of Liliw and northwest by the municipality of Magdalena. It is composed of forty (40) barangays covering a total land area of 9,658 hectares and constitutes 4% percent of Laguna’s total Land area. The urban land area of the Poblacion is composed of 5 barangays covering a total land area of 169.98 hectares. The Poblacion is composed is composed of barangay Sta. Catalina, San Francisco, Origuel, San Miguel and Villa Nogales. It is also predominantly rural in land use as the majority of barangays are agricultural in nature. Rural lands constitute 69.85% of the total land area while the Poblacion accounts for 1.76% of the total land area.
Major Income Sources: Agriculture
Tourist Destinations: Taytay Falls, Bukal Falls, Saint Gregory the Great Parish Church, Chapel of Nuestra Señora dela Porteira, Costales Nature Farm, Tulay Pige, Mount Bnahaw, Coconut Arrack, Dalitiwan Resort, Carayan Resort, Scenic View Resort and Restaurant
Special Events/Festivals: Majayjay Day/Ubod Festival, SaGreMa Festival (San Gregorio Magno Majayjay)
Address: Municipal Hall, Brgy. Sta. Catalina, Majayjay, Laguna
Phone: (049) 563-3586
Fax: (049) 563-3586