Nagcarlan

 

Nagcarlan

Income Classification: 2nd Class
Congressional District: 3rd District
No. of Barangays: 52
Land Area: 8,286 has. 
Population (NSO, May 1, 2010): 59,726
Registered Voters (COMELEC, 2016): 36,753

Newly Elected Local Officials (2016 Election)

Position
Mayor
Vice-Mayor
Councilor
Councilor
Councilor
Councilor
Councilor
Councilor
Councilor
Councilor
LNB President
Local Official
Nelson M. Osuna
Amie Malabag-Hernandez
Rexon Arevalo
Brando Araneta
Vicente Aranilla
Nelia Consignado
Evelyn Sotoya
Felipe Arcigal III
Generoso Comendador
Errol Dorado
Rodel Dorado
Political Party
Liberal Party
Partido Demokratiko Pilipino-LABAN
Liberal Party
Liberal Party
Liberal Party
Liberal Party
United Nationalist Alliance
Liberal Party
Independent
Liberal Party
 
Term
3rd 
1st 
3rd
1st 
3rd
3rd 
3nd 
3rd 
1st
1st
 

 


About:

Historical Background:
According to the Municipal’s profile, the Spaniards named the place Nagcarlan from the word Nagcanlong. Prior to the coming of the Spaniards, the people of Nagcarlan had been living peacefully in groups called balangays. The balangay was headed by Datu Gat Lakilaw. It was one of two barangays in the present-day Laguna; the other is the present town of Majayjay.

When news broke out that white men armed with rifles had arrived and made camp near the lake, the people prepared themselves for any eventualities. They sent the children, women, the old and the weak to safer places, while some of the men guarded the way from the Labak region. But as the Spaniards ascended to Nagcarlan accompanied by some Filipinos acting as scouts, the vigilant men of Nagcarlan were no match to the conquistadores who used guns. The men of the village run to the Talahibing River and hid behind the tall cogon grass when they heard the burst of the guns of their enemies. The Filipino scouts who were with the Spaniards described what the men of the village did as "nagkanlong sa talahiban." Since then, the place was called Nagkanlong until the Spaniards called it Nagcarlan.

The town's conversion to Christianity began in 1578 and it formally became a pueblo in 1583, under a Franciscan friar.

Geographic Location:
The Municipality of Nagcarlan lies at 121°28'30" east longitude and 14°09'53” north latitude. It is a town at the northwest slope of Mt. San Cristobal and northwest of Mt. Banahaw, hence, the people from this town are called tagabulubundukin (native from the mountainous areas). Nagcarlan is an inland municipality of Laguna province. It is about 102 kilometers from Manila, 16 kilometers from San Pablo City, a major urban center of the province and 21 kilometers from the Provincial Capitol of Sta. Cruz passing through the Municipalities of Magdalena and Liliw. It is bounded on the north by the Municipality of Pila; on the northwest by the Municipality of Victoria; on the northeast by the Municipality of Magdalena; on the southeast by the Municipality of Liliw; on the southwest by San Pablo City and on the west by the Municipality of Calauan.

Major Income Sources: Agri-Industries, Agriculture, Manufacturing, Services, Tourism

Tourist Destinations: Nagcarlan Underground Cemetery, St. Bartholomew Roman Catholic Church, Saint Joseph Shrine; Villa Sylvia Resort, Villa Gregoria Resort, Nagcarlan Forest Resort, RGO Resort, Green Nature Resort, Villa Martha Resort, Royo’s Resort, Villa Sotoya Resort, Glenda’s Resort, Casa de Tobias Resort, Batis ng Sinipian,Lorenza Resort, Gen-A Resort, Ortega Resort; Bunga Falls, Lagulo Falls, Sagilala Falls; Yambo Lake, Mt. Banahaw and Mt. Cristobal.

Special Events/Festivals: San Bartolome Apostol/San Diego de Alcala Town Fiesta (August 24 & 25), Ana Kalang Festival (April), Kendihan Mini-Festival (September)

Contact Information:
Address: Municipal Compound, Rizal Ave. cor. M. Doria St. Brgy. Poblacion II, Nagcarlan, Laguna
Phone: (049) 563-1202
Fax: (049) 563-2904
Email Address: nagcarlangovph.gmail.com



Programs Portal

            

         LGU 201 Profile   

            

 
Knowledge Products
 
DILG Intranet

     DILG GovMail     DILG Central Intranet     DILG IV-A Records Tracking System