Income Classification: 3rd Class
Congressional District: 4th District
No. of Barangays: 16
Land Area: 2,640 has.
Population (NSO 2010): 39,313
Registered Voters (COMELEC, 2016): 24,805
Newly Elected Local Officials (2016 Election)
The Municipality of Pagsanjan is a 3rd class town in the fourth district of the Province of Laguna consisting of 16 barangays. It is part of the Southern Tagalog Region (CALABARZON). Pagsanjan is the home of Our Lady of Guadalupe and the tourist capital of Laguna because of its main attractions, the exciting shooting the rapids going towards the globally famous Pagsanjan Falls. Pagsanjan experiences two pronounced seasons – dry and wet. Pagsanjan is also the center and convergence area in the fourth district of Laguna with all major highways strategically leading to the provinces of Rizal and Quezon; and is conveniently linked to about fifteen adjacent municipalities in Laguna. Currently, it had collected many achievements in the governance of administration, economy, social and environment.
Pagsanjan was originally a barrio of Lumban, Laguna. In 1673, eight Chinese and Japanese traders, who were highly impressed by the strategic location of the barrio at the junction of the two rivers, Balanac and Bumbungan, founded the town. They were Mateo Caso, Juan Juco, Marcos Suico, Diego Suic, Eugene Vinco, GiegoChanco, Jose Jegote, AlfonsoUyChanco. They established a training settlement and engage in betel nut industry. In due time the barrio became the flourishing trading center of Eastern Laguna and attracted native families from the surrounding communities of Cavinti, Pila and Sta. Cruz. On December 2, 1668, the Governor General Juan Manuel delaPeńaBonifaz issued a gubernatorial decree elevating its status from a barrio to town.
In 1668, the capital of Laguna was transferred from Bay (first capital) to Pagsanjan. At the time of the transfer, Pagsanjan was barely 15 years old, and governed by an Alcalde, Don Mateo Lopez Perera. The Provincial Capitol, then known as Casa Real, was a big colonial house situated on a lot at Calle Real which is presently owned by the late Don Manuel Soriano. The provincial jail was also located in the same street on a lot now owned by the heirs of the late Don NicomedesFabiero. Pagsanjan remained the capital for 170 years until 1872 during which the town bloomed as the cultural and commercial center of the province.
The new municipal government was established in Pagsanjan on June 1, 1901 with Prodencio Francia as its first appointed municipal president. On November 1903, the first election by means of secret ballot was held in Pagsanjan. A young illustrado named Roman Abaya won at the polis, thereby becoming the first elected president of the town.
After surviving the World War II, wherein Pagsanjan had been subjected to carpet bombing thereby destroying colonial houses and historical structures, the municipality had eventually rose toward development with the boom of tourism industry. Commercial establishments around the central district and the boating industry alongBumbungan and Balanac rivers flourished and played significant role in the local government’s rally toward economic growth and development.
The Municipality of Pagsanjan is located 101 kilometers southeast of Manila, at the mouth of the great Lake Laguna de Bay where the rivers of Balanac and Bumbungan meet and empty into the Bay. Located at 121, 27.5’ latitude and 14, 16.5’ longitude, it is bounded on the North by the Municipality of Lumban; on the South by the Municipality of Cavinti; on the East by the Pagsanjan Gorge; and on the West by the Municipalities of Magdalena and Santa Cruz. Pagsanjan has a total land area of 2,640 hectares (26.40 sq. km.) classified into rural and urban which consists of sixteen (16) barangays. Pagsanjan is the center and convergence area in the fourt (4th) District of Laguna with all major highways strategically leading to the provinces of Rizal and Quezon; and is conveniently linked to about fifteen (15) adjacent municipalities in Laguna, namely Sta. Cruz, Magdalena, LumbanCavinti, Pila, Liliw, Kalayaan, Luisiana, Victoria, Nagcarlan, Paete, Calauan, Majayjay, Pakil and Bay.
Major Income Sources: Manufacturing, Agriculture, Services, Tourism, Cottage Industry
Tourist Destinations: Pagsanjan Falls, Puerta Real (Town Gate), San Isidro Hill, Diocesan Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe, The Buried Bell of “Kawa-Kawa” (Huge Cauldron or Pot), “Apocalypse Now” Film Location, Palakang Bato (Stone Frog), Devil’s Cave, Bamboo Express, First Lagaslas
Special Events/Festivals: Feast of the Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe and Pagsanjan’s Foundation Day (December 12), Pagsanjan Bangkero Festival (March), Flores de Maria/Santacruzan (May 1-31), Independence Day Celebration (June 12), Birth of Dr. Jose P. Rizal (June 19), San Sebastian Fluvial Procession (Last Sunday of January and First Sunday of February), Sto. Niño Festival (3rd Saturday of January), Mardi Undaz (October 31), Feast of San Isidro de Labrador (May 15), Feast of Black Nazarene (2nd of Saturday of January), Lenten Cultural Presentation (Holy Week)
Address: Municipal Hall, JP Rizal St., Poblacion Uno, Pagsanjan, Laguna
Phone: (049) 501-4057 / 821-7950
Fax: (049) 501-4131