Income Classification: 3rd Class
Congressional District: 4th District
No. of Barangays: 17
Land Area: 3,120 has.
Population (NSO, May 1, 2010): 46,534
Registered Voters (COMELEC, May 2016): 32,436
Newly Elected Local Officials (2016 Election)
Pila is a third class municipality in the province of Laguna, Philippines. According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 46,534 people. Pila has a total land area of 31.2 km². The town of Pila is the site for some well-preserved houses dating back to the Spanish period as well as the old Saint Anthony of Padua Parish Church, the first Antonine church in the Philippines. Don Felizardo Rivera, who donated his lands to the church and municipal government, is the recognized founder of Pila. He is the ancestor of prominent families in Pila surnamed Rivera, Relova, Agra and Álava.
Pila as earlier mentioned was considered to be the center of trade and culture several centuries before the advent of Spanish colonization. Archeological finds in Pila represents considerable quantity of exquisite Chinese porcelains (many of them were accordingly completely unknown in the western collections) including vibrant figurines and scholar's tools like miniature pouring vessels, brush washers and writing implements used in art of calligraphy. The ancient Pilenos tempered their mercantile spirit with aesthetics and spiritual values. Without neglecting the production and improvement of local earthenware, they accumulated works of art, which date back to Dynasties of the Northern Sung (960-1127 A.D.), the Southern Sung (1127-1s80 A.D.) and the Yuan (1280-1368 A.D.).
According to historians, pre-Hispanic Pila was one of the biggest barangay in domains in Southern Luzon. Its leader was not only the local chief but also the regional Datu. The original territory once covered the present towns of Morong (from which the town of Pililla or Pilang Morong separated in 1583); Baras separated from Morong in 1588); Baras separated from Morong I n 1588); Tanay (i.e. separated from Pililla in 1606); Jala-jala whose old name was also Pila (i.e. separated from Pililla in 1786) and Talim Island, which until now, has a sitio Pila. The descendants of Pila Datu also regarded as the founders of the other towns of the present province of Rizal. Around 1375, due to some calamity of weather most probably flooding, the original seat of Pila had to be abandoned and the barangay transferred to Pagalangan, which signifies “the place of Reverence”. The Franciscan chronicle, Plasencia (1589) gathered that the Datu of Pila, "with his own gold" purchased the new site from another chief who had owned it and who thus moved to another place. The Datu then farmed out the arable land among the nobles and the freemen who, in return paid him an annual rent of a hundred gantas of rice.
Two hundred years later in 1572, the Spanish conquistadors, led by Don Juan de Salcedo, "discovered" Pila in Pagalangan after the "pacification" of Manila. The original settlement according or historians was located in Pinagbayanan. The second settlement was called "Pagalangan" which was reportedly the place discovered by the legendary Conquistador Juan Salcedo. The original site of Pagalangan was part of Victoria. Victoria was then originally part of the Pila. As earlier settlements and surrounding agricultural lands were perennially flooded by lake water, the settlers moved out of Pagalangan in the 18th century to its present location now part of Barangay Sta. Cruz. In recognition of its extensive territory and sphere of influence as well as the nobility of its people in background and customs, the town was conferred by the special title. "La Noble Villa de Pila" and adorned with a coat of arms. A villa was next in rank to a city, which could also be declared to villa. A villa is a Spanish territorial classification as well as institution. It is little known in the Philippines, even among historians, because it was sparsely granted in these parts during the Colonial Period. Though small in number, the villas were huge in significance as the centers for regional consolidation as well as, when linked together, the general dissemination of Spanish rule, commerce and culture in the archipelago.
The area of Barangay Sta. Cruz was then part of the hacienda owned by the Don Felizardo, Don Miguel, and Don Rafael de Rivera, prominent Spanish-Portuguese families during the colonial days. The family donated the land occupied the present-day church plaza and town hall. Pila was also being referred to as "Bayang Pinagpala" because despite calamities and armed conflicts through the centuries that passed, Pila has endeavored to be preserved its present colonial Spanish settings. Thus, the National Historical Institute declared the historic town center of Pila in Laguna as a national Historical Landmark. In NHI Resolution No. 2, Series of 2000 the specific area declared included area bounded by General Luna Street in the north, M.H. del Pilar Street in the east, Mabini Street in the south, and Bonifacio Street in the west, and including the Pila Elementary School, and the Juan Fuentes and Santiago Fernandez houses as a National Historical Landmark.
The Municipality of Pila lies within the 121 122' latitude and 14 14' longitude and is approximately 85 kilometers south of Manila. It is bounded on the north by Laguna de Bay on the south by Municipality of Liliw, on the west by the Municipality of Sta. Cruz and on the east by the Municipality of Victoria. Pila is close to the province's capital, the Municipality of Sta. Cruz which is approximately 7 kilometers away. It is also close to some of the province's major activity centers like the Sun star Mall in Sta. Cruz and South Supermarket in Los Banos. Pila has an area of 31.20 sq.km. and considered as a small municipality in terms of area in the province of Laguna. It has 17 barangays with four (4) barangays located in the poblacion with a total land area of 347.20 sq.km. These are Bulilan Norte, Bulilan Sur, Sta. Clara Norte & Sta. Clara Sur. The remaining 13 barangays are rural barangays of Pila. The biggest barangay is Concepcion with an area of 439.90 sq.km. while barangay Aplaya is the smallest barangay with an area of 86.20 sq.km. The 17 barangays of Pila is further divided into puroks. There are 79 identified puroks in Pila. Barangay San Miguel has the most number of Puroks with seven (7) while Barangays Bukal and Tubuan have only two (2) puroks.
Major Income Sources: Agriculture
Tourist Destinations: San Antonio de Padua de Pila Parish Church, Pila Museum, Old Ancestral Houses (Casto Maceda / Concha Monserrat House, Corazon Rivera House, Jose Agra / Rosario Villarica House, Teodora Alava House), Pila Municipal Hall
Special Events/Festivals: Araw ng Pila, Pailah Festival
Address: Municipal Hall, Brgy. Bulilan Norte, Pila, Laguna
Phone: (049) 559-0550
Fax: (049) 559-0550