Income Classification: 4th Class
Congressional District: 3rd District
No. of Barangays: 39
Land Area: 9,805 has.
Population (NSO, May 1, 2010): 21,380
Registered Voters (COMELEC): 15,096
Newly Elected Local Officials (2016 Election)
Pitogo primarily is an agricultural municipality. Of the 9,805 hectares of land, about 7,667.13 is devoted to agriculture. The remaining percentage is subdivided into different built-up uses, fishponds, marshes/swamps, water bodies and utilities.
The history of Pitogo may be divided roughly into three periods. The first may be called the organization period; second is the early Spanish period under the Capitans; and third, the American and present period.
The first period was organization, because Pitogo was settled in in several places before it found its present location. Ferdinand Magellan discovered the Philippines in 1521, but the history of Pitogo commenced in 1754. Juan Mauricio founded the town up in the Mayuboc River, now Pinagbayanan. It was the period when the Bantilan pirates could reach as far north as Mindoro and, from there, the Moros came along the coastal towns of Kalilayan (Tayabas).
The founding of Pitogo became very sure when a strong ruler in the person of Geronimo Santiago took care of the poblacion. He was known by the name Maniago. Moros feared Maniago. The patron saint became famous too. The belief was that Saint Paul was miraculously protecting the new town. Maniago ruled the town for almost ten years, from 1771 to 1780. This was a period of Moro piracy. For the years 1778-1793, Mamburao, Mindoro was made the home of these Moro sea robbers. However, a period of progress came when the Governor General was Jose Basco y Vargas, 1778. He was appointed Alcalde Mayor.
Juan Encarnacion became the ruler in 1781. This time the image of St. Paul was found under the Pitogo tree on Maaliw hill. This was taken to mean that St. Paul liked the place to be the permanent location of the poblacion. In one occasion when the Moros were about to enter the town, the place was covered by darkness, and so the Moros went away. In 1814, another Mauricio became the ruler. Through the carelessness of the inhabitants, the town was burned for the first time. A very good ruler came. He was Geronimo de los Angeles. The stone church was built where St. Paul was once found on Maaliw Hill in 1817.
Pitogo is geographically located in the southeastern part of Bondoc Peninsula on coordinates 122ᵒ05’12” latitude and 13ᵒ longitude.It is approximately 90 kilometers from the Capital city of Lucena and approximately 227 kilometers from the National Capital Region. It is accessible from all points partcularly via Lucena City from Metro Manila and by the sea route along its coastal barangays. It is bounded by the Municipality of Gumaca on the north, Municipality of Unisan on the east, Tayabas Bay on the west and Municipality of Macalelon on the south.
Major Income Sources: Farming, Fishing
Tourist Destinations: Conversion of St. Paul Parish Church, Soliyao Beach Resort, Taclob Beach Resort, Amang Kalaing Fish Sanctuary, Mahabang Buhangin Beach Resort, Castillo Ruins and Bosque Cave
Special Events/Festivals: Barangay Week and Town Fiesta
Address: Municipal Hall, A. Mabini St. Brgy. Maaliw, Pitogo, Quezon
Phone: (042) 318-8208
Fax: (042) 318-8555