Income Classification: 3rd Class
Congressional District: 1st District
No. of Barangays: 20
Land Area: 28,800 has.
Population (NSO, 2010): 28,470
Registered Voters (COMELEC): 18,698
Newly Elected Local Officials (2016 Election)
Polillo is a 3rd class municipality in the province of Quezon, Philippines. It is located on Polillo Island in the Philippine Sea and separated by Polillo Strait from the main island of Luzon. According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 28,470 people in the 6,490 households.
Trade relations between the natives of the Polillo Islands and Chinese merchants existed long before the Spanish conquerors came to the archipelago. Trade was a conglomeration of Malay-Hindu-Chinese-Tagalog. Padre Morga wrote that Polillo originated from the Chinese word “Pulilu”, which means beautiful island with plenty of food. When Juan de Salcedo, a Spanish conqueror came to the Polillo in 1567, he saw a central government fully organized through the Balangay, with a datu who had a direct supervision and control overall the natives. The inhabitants lived in nipa huts.
In 1571 the Spaniards took hold of the islands of Pu Li Lu. Through the leadership of Padre Domingo, a Spanish friar, a chapel was built, where the old Spanish church was later constructed. After one and a half years , the people, through the forced labor built a concrete wall to protect the “pueblo” of Pu Li Lu from moro pirate invaders. Watchtowers called “castillos” were erected in the four corners of the pueblo.
The church was constructed in 1577. Boulders, gravels and sand were mixed with lime produced out of seashells and coral stones. Padre Domingo instigated the planting of sugar cane in San Isidro, San Antonio and San Francisco. Production of molasses was put into full swing. Spanish conquistadores were assigned to the “pueblo” of Pu Li Lu to promote church construction. The church tower was constructed with priority, so that in 1587, in the early summer of May, two huge bronze bells rang atop. Due to language problems, Padre Domingo changed Pu Li Lu to Polillo.
Polillo is located about 18 miles off the Eastern Coast of Luzon bounded by Municipality of Panukulan in the North, and the municipality of Burdeos in the East. Lamon Bay bounds it in the South, East and West. It is 15 miles west of the municipality of Infanta and 17 miles northern west of the municipality of Real, Quezon. It can be reached by motorboats/launch three hours via Real-Polillo in the Ungos Port and a little bit shorter via Infanta-Polillo.
Major Income Sources: Manufacturing, Agriculture, Services, Tourism, Cottage Industry, Mining
Tourist Destinations: Malabonbon and Katawian Reefs, Balesin Island/ AlphalandDev’t., Coccoc Rocks, Isla Beach Resort in Brgy. Bucao, Seahorse Hotel, ESCARLATA Hotel
Special Events/Festivals: Town Fiesta, Sampatitis
Address: Municipal Hall, Mabini cor. San Jose St., Polillo, Quezon