Manila Bay Clean-up, Rehabilitation and Preservation
Pursuant to the Local Government Code of 1991, particularly Section 465(b) (3) (v), Section 455 (b) (3) (vii), Section 444 (b) (3) (vii), Section 458 (a) (1) (vi) and Section 447 (a) (1), Provincial Governors, City Mayors, Municipal Mayors and Sanggunian Members at all levels are mandated to adopt adequate measures to safeguard and conserve land, mineral, marine, forest and other resources within their territorial jurisdiction and to protect the environment and impose appropriate penalties for acts which endanger the environment.
On December 18, 2008, the Supreme Court En Banc, in its decision in MMDa, et. al vs. Ilas, et. al, directed the DILG, among other agencies, to undertake efforts relative to the Manila Bay clean-up, rehabilitation and preservation and to submit Quarterly Reports to the Supreme Court.
- To generate baseline information on LGU compliance to the SC Ruling on the inspection of all factories, commercial establishments and private homes located along the banks of major river systems, and other minor rivers and waterways that eventually discharge water into the Manila Bay, including lands aborting the bay, to determine whether they have wastewater treatment facilities or hygienic septic tank as prescribed by existing law, ordinances, and rules and regulations;
- To generate information, on a periodic basis, actions or accomplishments of provincial governments, city governments, and municipal governments with respect to the prevention of industrial wastes, sewage water and human wastes from flowing into the rivers, waterways, esteros and the Manila Bay and
- To generate subject-matter related operational issues.
In CALABARZON, a Regional Task Force has been created in order to synchronize plans, programs and activities related to the Manila Bay Clean-Up.
- Chairperson - RD Manuel Q. Gotis
- Vice-Chairperson - ARD Ariel O. Iglesia
- Member - Cavite PD Allan V. Benitez
- Member - Laguna Darrell I. Dizon
- Member - Rizal PD Noel R. Bartolabac
List of Key Performance Indicator (KPI) Forms:
|KPI FORM 1||% of total Commercial Establishments, Factories and Homes along riverbanks and shorelines of Manila Bay watershed area that are inspected for adequate wastewater|
|KPI FORM 2||% of total non-compliant Commercial Establishments, Factories and Homes that construct wastewater treatment facilities or septic tanks following inspection|
|KPI FORM 3||% of LGUs in Manila Bay watershed areas outside Metro Manila that are certified as compliant with regulations governing the Solid Waste Management Act (RA 9003)|
|KPI FORM 4||% of Informal Settlers and Illegal Encroachments (permanently cleared)|
|KPI FORM 5||% of LGUs implementing their Water Quality Plan in compliance with RA 9275|
|KPI FORM 6||# of IEC Activities|