Income Classification: 1st Class
Congressional District: 1st District
No. of Barangays: 20
Land Area: 768.364 has.
Population (Projected based on NSO Census, May 1, 2010): 103,238
Registered Voters (COMELEC, November 26, 2015): 77,129
Newly Elected Local Officials (2016 Election)
Rosario is one of the lowland coastal municipalities of Cavite. Due to such location, it is noted for fishing. Rosario was an agricultural town until the 1980’s with considerable portion of its land area where prime agricultural lands were mostly planted with traditional crops such as palay, corn crops and vegetables. Being a coastal town, fishing is one of the major source of livelihood and income of the people in the area. There is a commercial fish landing area in the municipality, which considered as one of the major fish port in the province. Fish sun drying, smoking or fermentation and salting of various species of fish are among the fish processing activities of the people for livelihood and for additional income to numerous “tinapa” vendors who sell this product on far areas like Metro Manila, Laguna and Batangas.
The largest major economic zone of the Philippines, the Cavite Economic Zone is located in Rosario, Cavite. There is no extensive agriculture development program in the municipality. This may be due to the massive conversion of agricultural land to industrial and residential lots/subdivisions. Nevertheless, because Rosario is a coastal town, fishing is one of the major sources of livelihood and income of the people in the area and majority of local people are working in PEZA.
On October 22, 1845, Spanish Governor General Narciso Claveria promulgated a Decree for the establishment of a new town comprising Salinas-Leiton and Tierra Alta of San Francisco de Malabon, what is now known as the town of Gen. Trias. On the 27th October, Don Juan Arlegui, Vicar-General of the Archdiocese of Manila informed the Politico-Military Governor of Cavite Don Miguel Roca, that he was designated by the Governor-General to look for a person of unquestionable integrity who will be entrusted with the money for the construction of the church building.
On November 3, 1845, Presbyter Don Mamerto Ner, who was at that time one of the best priests of the Curia of Manila, was appointed parish priest and served until December 1866.
The Municipality of Rosario was originally a part of San Francisco de Malabon (now General Trias, Cavite). It became an independent municipality in 1846, one year after the founding of the Santissimo Rosario Parish. Rosario was formerly called Tejero, which may have originated from the word “tejer” (Spanish “to weave”) because weaving fish nets was then the main occupation of the women. Rosario was also called Salinas derived from the word “sal” (Spanish “salt”) during the Philippine Revolution because salt-making was a prime industry of the town. The place was likewise called Marcella or “Marcelles” due to its proximity to the sea (“mar” in Spanish).
Rosario was, finally, named in honour of their patroness Nuestra Señora Virgen del Santissimo Rosario, Reina de Caracol (or Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary). The second smallest town in the province of Cavite, Rosario has now emerged into the "biggest" neither in terms of its land area nor its per capita income but because of the great transitions that occurred with the town's political, social, cultural and economic developments since 1845.
There are three religious versions for naming the town "Rosario." One version says, the image of the Madonna and the Child was found one day floating on the water by a group of kids playing along the seashore. They played with the image, using it as a toy and afterwards hid it in the bushes near the sea. Every time they came back, however, they would see the image already floating leisurely on the water, as if waiting for them. They thought it strange, but could not explain how the image got back to the water.
Not long after their elders learned about the image and took it to an empty nipa hack. Thus began a public adoration of the Madonna and Child. The hut was transformed into a place of worship. News of miraculous happenings attributed to the image spread around. The religious fervor was so great and the people were moved by the image that they decided to adopt it as the patroness of the town and changed the name Salinas Marcella to Rosario. However, the town’s original name “Salinas” is still cherished.
To date, the different names given to the town are remembered. Marcella exists as one of the national roads of the town. Salinas is associated with the finest and famous smoked fish (Tinapang Salinas) produced by the townspeople. Rosario as an agro-industrialized fishing hamlet along the coastlines of Manila Bay, is occupied by productive, peace-loving and God-fearing people who devotedly venerate the Nuestra Señora Virgen del Santissimo Rosario de Caracol as their patroness.
Rosario is bounded on the North by Manila Bay, on the East by Noveleta, on the South by General Trias, and on the West by Tanza. The municipality is situated thirty (30) kilometers away in Metro Manila and geographically situated at coordinates 14 degrees, 4 minutes and 00 second north latitude and 120 degrees, 50 minutes and 30 seconds east longitude.
Major Income Sources: Fishing
Tourist Destinations: Casa Hacienda, Tejeros Convention, Mount Sea Hotel, Resort and Restaurant, Graceland, EM’s Resort, Erlinda’s Pavillion, San Isidro Beach Resort
Special Events/Festivals: Rosario Town Fiesta (3rd or 4th Sunday of May), Rosario Foundation Day (October 22), Feast of Nuestra Señora Virgen del Rosario (October 7), Tejeros Convention Anniversary (March 22), Barangay Fiestas
Address: Scout Torillo Street, Barangay Poblacion, Rosario, Cavite
Phone: (046) 438-2690 / 438-0642
Fax: (046) 438-2690
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/Municipality-of-Rosario-Cavite-115372575277921/