Income Classification: 4th Class
Congressional District: 2nd District
No. of Barangays: 20
Land Area: 5,998.14 has.
Population (NSO, May 1, 2010): 34,679
Registered Voters (COMELEC, January 2015): 19,632
Newly Elected Local Officials (2016 Election)
San Antonio is then known as Buliran, one of the progressive and component barangay of Tiaong, Quezon. It is situated in the western part of Tiaong, its mother municipality, and bounded on the south by the Municipalities of Padre Garcia and Rosario Batangas. Its history was known through the knowledge of many of its residents. This was formerly known as Buliran, a barrio covered with thick cogon grasses and Buri tress. Considering its abundance and economic opportunity, the place was occupied by the Batanguenos from the western part of the barrio and became the pioneers and witnessed the pristine beauty if the place and later in cultivated and tilled its virgin and fertile land.
In the year 1934, a barrio market of “talipapa” was established at barrio Buliran through the initiative of Mr. Valentin Umali. In their aedent desire to make the place more progressive, they petitioned the proper authorities to construct a bridge (now Godeo Bridge) connecting the two barrios to hasten the flow of goods and mobility of the residents, which was granted. The first Catholic Church was founded thru the able leadership of a very religious man, Mr. Julian Wagan. When Fr. Jose B. Cuevas arrived, the present Catholic Church was erected and constructed at its present site in a lot donated by spouses Patricio Lalusin and Rosalia Lacerna. It was finished during the time of Fr. Armando Palma.
The inhabitants of the community increased rapidly. Then politics came in, a dynamic leader from Barrio Niing, Juanito C. Wagan, son of Mr. Julian Wagan, ran and was elected First Councilor of Tiaong, Quezon. He represents the constituents of Bulitan, Biing, Pury, Callejon and Behia in the municipal council. He sponsored several resolutions, such as, opening of new roads and construction of bridges, electrification and agricultural reforms. He also addressed the problems involving peace and order situation that made him famous not only in Tiaong but also in nearby municipalities.
In the year 1946, Atty. Andres Umali, known as “Heneral Dumas” first conceptualized the idea of making Buliran as an independent municipality. However, due to some politic issues, such idea was not realized. In the second term of Hon. Juanito C. Wagan as Municipal Councilor, he revived the idea of making Buliran and its neighboring barrios as an independent town. The petition was favorably acted upon and endorse to His Excellency, President Carlos P. Garcia who issued an executive order to that effect. The creation of San Antonio as a separate and independent town from Tiaong, Quezon was embodied in Executive Order No. 270,s. of 1957, issued on October 4, 1957 by President Carlos P. Garcia. Through the suggestion of Fr. Calixto Jamilla, the newly created town was christened SAN ANTONIO. The executive order was formally received by Hon. Juanito C. Wagan on October 7, 1957 and was handed by Mrs. Nelly Umali Cabuñag.
On November 19, 1957 the following first set of local officials were appointed by President Carlos P. Garcia to head the newly created Municipality: Juanito C. Wagan as Municipal Mayor, Casiano Harina as Vice Mayor, and the following as Municipal Councilors, Jacinto M. Masangkay, Guillermo Cornejo, Pablo Castillo, Mariano Rizo, Ponciano Lacorte and Felipe Matanguihan. Mrs. Milagros M. Masangkay was appointed first Municipal Treasurer. They took their oath of office before Governor Leon G. Guinto on November 22, 1957. The inaugural session of the first municipal government was held on November 25, 1957 in the house of Hon. Juanito C. Wagan and served as the temporary seat of government until the construction of municipal building. The Municipal Building was erected and constructed at its present site in a lot donated by spouses Francisco Cuevas and Sabina Harina and Marcelo Casas and Rosenda Hernandez. The barrios composing the newly created town were the following: Poblacion, Arawan, Bulihan, Buliran, Briones, Callejon, Loob, Pury, Magsaysay, Matipunso, Niing, Pulo, San Jose, Sampaguita and Sintorisan. Later on five (5) other daughter were created, they were the following Bagong Niing, Niing, Sampaga, Balat-Atis, Del Valle and Corazon.
The Municipality of San Antonio, Quezon is located at a distance of 46 kilometers away from Lucena City, the province capital and 109 kilometers away from Metro Manila. It is bounded in the northeast by the municipality of Tiaong, Quezon; on the south by the Municipality of San Juan, Rosario and Padre Garcia all of Batangas Province; and on the west by Lipa City and Padre Garcia, Batangas. The town lies at geographical coordinates of 13˚ 54’ 10” latitude and 121˚ 17’ 30” longitude.
Major Income Sources: Agriculture, Livestock and Poultry Production
Tourist Destinations: Malatandang Beach, Mag-Asawang Bato Beach, Kalilayan River, Tubigan Cave, Bonifacio Cave, Ibabang Mairok Waterfalls
Special Events/Festivals: Unisan Day, Unisan Town Fiesta Celebration, Lilay Festival
Address: Municipal Hall, San Antonio,Quezon
Phone: (042) 545-4091
Fax: (042) 545-4092