Income Classification: 3rd Class
Congressional District: 3rd District
No. of Barangays: 24
Land Area: 26,591 has.
Population (NSO, May 1, 2010): 45,386
Registered Voters (COMELEC, January 2010): 23,849
Newly Elected Local Officials (2016 Election)
The story of the Municipality of San Narciso had its beginning from the stories surrounding the villages of Obuyon as its principality. A petition was presented by the village of Maayas-as on March 5, 1845 to the authorities in Manila especially to the Governor General stating that it was their desire to have the principality transferred from Obuyon to Maayas-as. Their reason was the village of Maayas-as was centrally located between the three villages and therefore it will be easier to the people to congregate there immediately. When the leaders of Obuyon knew this matter they also presented a counter petition saying that it will be a great mistake to transfer the principality because of the following reasons: 1) Obuyon has the required school building to house the community; 2) it has the necessary building that is required of a principality; 3) It has the necessary and qualified men to run the local government.
These petitions were given due attention by Governor General Narciso Claveria in 1846. He boarded the steamship Paula Regente for Obuyon to see for himself the real situation of the case. Upon reaching the place and made ocular inspection he finally concluded that the town should be established not in any villages but in the present site of what is known San Narciso. This change was contained in the decree which he proclaimed when he returned to Manila. The decree was sent to the parochial priest of the principality, Rev. Fr. Francisco Mendieta San Buenaventura, who was given the authority to convince the people of Obuyon, Maayas-as and Sugbong-cogon to transfer to the new site. Upon suggestion of the leaders of Obuyon the name given to the locality was San Narciso in honor of Governor General Narciso Claveria who visited the place.
As a result of the new order of the Governor General, about sixty families from Obuyon transferred to the place without protest. From Maayas-as about forty families also transferred. The people of Sugbong-cogon requested the Governor General that they be given the freedom to stay in San Andres because said place is much nearer that of San Narciso. About one hundred families more or less founded the new community known as San Narciso.
San Narciso is located at the southern tip of Quezon Province with geographical location in the coordinates of 13°34’53” latitude and 122°31’50” longitude in a Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM) projection of 1983 under Geographical Zone 51. It is bounded by other municipalities wherein; on the North by the Municipality of Buenavista, the Ragay Gulf on the East, Municipality of Mulanay on the West and the Municipality of San Francisco on the Southwest and the Municipality of San Andres on the South. This Municipality is accessible by both land and water transportation from the adjoining municipalities. It has a distance of 302 kilometers from the heart of Manila and about 170 kilometers from Lucena City, the provincial capital and around 43 kilometers from the Municipality of Catanauan, a minor urban center. Going ahead at the south direction is the Visayas islands with around 10 hours cruising by boat. with this, this municipality also served as a place for living for some migrant individuals from visayas particularly from Masbate, Samar, Leyte and even from Bicol Region.
Major Income Sources: Agriculture, Fishing
Tourist Destinations: The Venue Beach Resort, Talisay Beach
Special Events/Festivals: Araw ng San Narciso (February 2), Fiesta (May 1)
Address: Municipal Hall, Brgy. Pagkakaisa, San Narciso, Quezon