Income Classification: 5th Class
Congressional District: 3rd District
No. of Barangays: 18
Land Area: 2,664 has.
Population (NSO, May 1, 2010): 23,632
Registered Voters (COMELEC, January 2010): 14,637
Newly Elected Local Officials (2016 Election)
San Nicolas is a historical town since it is where the old town of Taal was established. The only reminder on land of this history are the ruins of the old Taal Church in San Nicolas which the local government has managed to preserve and protect. It was mainly an agricultural community where farmers and local residents would plant corn, rice and root crops. The LGU is blessed with scenic view over- looking taal volcano. It is the real gateway to taal volcano since it is closer to taal volcano island- three to four kilometers from the mainland – than any other lakeshore municipality. Now, the municipality claim that tourism is their priority agenda because they see the lake and volcanoes’ potential and aims to be one of the eco-tourism destination in Batangas.
Old Taal town (Pueblo de Taal) founded in this place in the year 1572 and subsequently had established the second seat of provincial government known as “La Provincia de Taal or La Provincia de Batangan”. At the same time old Taal Church¹, the center of the Roman Catholic Faith in Southern Tagalog and part of Bicol region, was instituted in 1575. Unfortunately, despite of grown civilization then, the town devastated and buried by the eruption of Taal Volcano2 in October, 17543. In the succeeding year (1755) Spanish friars resettled and constructed another church to a new place where it is situated today, while the gobernadorcillo transferred temporarily at Barrio Balangon and the gobernador transferred in a distant town of Batangas.
In 1763 some farm workers inhabited in this abandoned place and associated themselves into small community under the control of the Spanish landlords. Those inhabitants cleaned-up the forested areas, cultivated wide vacant lands that have no traces of big structures except the ruins of the old Taal church. The vast lands with fertile volcanic soils became suitable to all agricultural crops that encouraged many inhabitants to live in. The community began to increase its population and became small barrio called “Lumang Bayan”. In the latter part of 18th century, Lumang Bayan called “Bonbon” which it was derived from scattered small lakes left by craters during subsequent volcanic eruptions of the sunken volcano.
The sizeable barrio Bonbon existed together with barrios of Maabor, Abelo, Gipit, Kamalig4 and such other barrios of Taal in early part of 19th century. While the Agoncillos were in power and owned the biggest portion of land (now Agoncillo town), they managed their farm workers and built their own community separately, hence it did not affect the lives of the people in Bonbon.
At the outbreak of civil war waged by Filipino guerillas5 against Spanish colonial government in the last part of 19th century, the people in Bonbon resisted from the fate of the war by means of their bolos and deep faith to Catholicism with their Patron, St. Nicholas de Tolentino. It was also the conviction of the people in Bo. Bonbon that through miraculous intervention of the sacred saint brought to them by the Spanish friars, they fled in the first catastrophic eruption of the existing Taal Volcano sometimes in 1911. This 19116 eruption dislocated the river from its original bank that caused certain portion of Kamalig was isolated from its major portion and placed at the opposite side of the river and became small sitio7. As a result of being fanatics, the olds, “matatanda sa nayon”, changed the name of the place from Barrio Bonbon to Barrio San Nicolas named after the patron St. Nicholas de Tolentino. Barrio San Nicolas existed under the jurisdiction of the Municipality of Taal, endowed with fertile soil and ideal haven for its people.
On June 25, 1954, old folks envisioned the concept of converting Barrio San Nicolas into a new municipality.
The Municipality of San Nicolas, a 5th class municipality from the 3rd district of Batangas is located 125 kilometers south of Manila. It is a coastal town along Taal Lake and a part of the famous Taal Volcano which is located in one of its island barangay – Alas-as. It is bounded on the north by Taal Lake, on the south by the Municipality of Taal, on the east by the Municipality of Sta. Teresita and on the west by the Municipality of Agoncillo.
Major Income Sources:
Economic activities are basically anchored on agriculture. A large segment of the population is engaged in agricultural activities such as land cultivation, fishing, livestock and poultry raisings. Food crops raised in the municipality are rice, corn, root crops, sugarcanes, vegetables and fruit trees. The coastal barangays namely Tagudtod, Abelo, Baluk-Baluk, Poblacion, Maabud North, Balete, Bancoro, Pansipit, Calangay, Bangin, Alas-as and Pulang Bato are engaged in fishing. Other activities that augment household income are employment, small scale businesses and some are overseas workers.
Tourist Destinations: Bird Sanctuary, Lake Side Vista, Taal Lake, 1965 Crater, 1911 Crater, 15th Century ruins of old Taal Church, Floating Restaurant
Special Events/Festivals: Maliputo Festival (August 9), Bankaton Festival
Address: Poblacion, San Nicolas, Batangas
Phone: (043) 218-5200
Fax: (043) 218-5200