Income Classification: 1st Class
Congressional District: 6th District
No. of Barangays: 41
Land Area: 28,296 has.
Population (NSO, May 1, 2010): 305,607
Registered Voters (COMELEC, January 2016): 110,892
Newly Elected Local Officials (2016 Election)
Farming and fishing are the major sources of livelihood in the Municipality of Tanza. Fish caught in the shores of Tanza are traded through “Bulungan System” at fish terminal market located at Barangay Julugan. Aside from palay, vegetables, corn and fruits are also harvested. These produce are sold to the public market of Tanza and to the nearby municipalities in the Province of Cavite. Industrial establishments present in the municipality are the Transnational Paper Mills, Cathay Farms, |Agri Pacific Corporation , Dolphin Environmental System, and LU Chu Industrial Estate. The Industrial Estate are warehouse of knots and bolts, bicycle parts, purlins and roofing materials and the newly open Tanza ECO park an industrial park located at Barangay Sahud Ulan.
Tanza was formerly a strip of land incorporated for official purpose to the municipality of San Francisco de Malabon, now called Gen. Trias. The first settlers were the Fabian brothers who migrated here. This place was particularly devoted to grazing and was called Estancia (1780).
On August 29,1890, that portion of land bordering the Canas River together with the adjacent land extending to the south of Ulilang Kawayan and the west to Timalan and Kay Alam River was decreed into a town. It was officially named Sta. Cruz de Malabon. The name was derived from Holy Cross which was venerated and considered the Patron of the inhabitant, the word Malabon was affixed to indicate the early maternal relation of the town to San Francisco de Malabon.
In 1909, a resolution was passed by the Municipal Council of San Francisco de Malabon making Sta. Cruz de Malabon a separate and independent town with its president and other officials chosen by acclamation. This town became completely independent in 1910.
In 1914, Atty. Florentino Joya who was then a representative of Cavite to the National Assembly worked for the passage of a bill which renamed the town of Sta. Cruz de Malabon to Tanza by virtue of Philippine Legislative Act No. 2390 dated on February 28, 1914.
The lowland municipality of Tanza is among of the 23 cities and municipalities that comprise the Province of Cavite. It is located in the Northwestern part of Cavite lying within latitudes 140 24’ north and longitude 120° 51’ east. It is bounded by the Municipality of Rosario to the North; the Municipality of Gen. Trias to the east; by Trece Martires City and the Municipality of Naic to the south; and the Manila Bay on the west.
Major Income Sources: Farming. Fishing, Industries and Services
Tourist Destinations: Holy Cross Church of Tanza, Beach Resorts
Special Events/Festivals: Araw ng Taza (February 28), Tanza Town Fiesta (August 28)
Address: Municipal Hall, A. Soriano Highway Daang Amaya I, Tanza Cavite
Phone: (046) 437-1076
Fax: (046) 437-1076