Teresa

 

Teresa

Income Classification: 2nd Class
Congressional District: 2nd District
No. of Barangays: 9
Land Area: 1,861 has. 
Population (NSO, May 1, 2010): 47,163
Registered Voters (COMELEC, May 2016): 33,861

Newly Elected Local Officials (2016 Election)

Position
Mayor
Vice-Mayor
Councilor
Councilor
Councilor
Councilor
Councilor
Councilor
Councilor
Councilor
LNB President
Local Official
Raul S. Palino
Jose Jeriel S.D. Villegas
Freddie L. Bonifacio
Fernando P. Lopez
Aurelio G. Selibio, Jr.
Hoaward C. Francisco
Cris J. Francisco
Anthony S. Damaso
Sonny ES. Dela Cruz
John C. San Jose
Norberto S. Casiano
Political Party
Liberal Party
Liberal Party
Liberal Party
Liberal Party
Liberal Party
Liberal Party
Liberal Party
Liberal Party
Liberal Party
Liberal Party
 
Term
2nd
2nd 
3rd 
1st 
2nd 
1st 
2nd 
2nd
2nd
2nd 
3rd 

 


About:
Teresa is famous for its best solid waste management practice, the Integrated Solid Waste Management Recovery Facility (ISWMRF) located in Sitio Pantay, Barangay Dalig. The MRF is a multi-awarded project of the municipal government that has been visited by domestic and foreign tourist, local officials, students, and other interested groups for education purposes and possible replication. At present, Teresa is composed of nine (9) barangays namely Bagumbayan, Calumpang-Sto. Cristo, Dalig, Dulumbayan, May-iba, Poblacion, Prinza, San Gabriel and San  Roque.

Municipality of Teresa is consistently raising the bar of excellence in local governance and garnered the following awards:

  • 2011 Seal of Good Housekeeping (SGH) Silver
  • 2012 Seal of Good Housekeeping (SGH) Bronze
  • 2015 Champions  for Health Governance
  • 2015 Seal of Good Financial Housekeeping
  • 2015 Seal of Good Local Governance (SGLG)
  • 2015 Platinum Award on Environmental Compliance Audit

Historical Background:
Teresa was first named “Oroquieta” and was a barrio of the Municipality of Morong. It remained to be non-independent town even when name Oroquieta was changed to Sta. Rosa in honor of the town’s patron. Thereafter, even against the will of its people, Sta. Rosa was annexed to the town of Antipolo, which led to animosity between the residents and those of Antipolo. Most of the residents of the former were from Morong and preferred to be under the jurisdiction of the Municipality of Morong.

This unstable condition of the town led its militant leaders like Messra, San Esteban, Sto. Domingo, Pio Piriquiquit Santos, Raymundo Francisco, Mariano Celo Francisco, Diego P. Cruz, Santiago P. Cruz, Sabino de Ramos, Platon Gonzales, Saturnino Francisco and Francisco Natividad to clamor for independence. With the assistance of the Spanish Lawyer, Don Mariano Rodriguez Candelaria, they appealed to the Spanish Governor General in the year 1877 for a separate township. The appeal was given preferential attention and Sta. Rosa was declared an independent town.

In 1900, the people of the town agreed to change the name Sta. Rosa to “Teresa” in honor of Doña Teresa Candelaria, the mother of Don Mariano Rodriguez Candelaria. Since then, Teresa existed as an independent town. In 1903, when the rebellion broke out, Teresa was again annexed to the municipality of Antipolo. In 1917, the able men of the town again appealed for independence with the help of the provincial governor, Eulogio Rodriguez Sr. Due to political reasons, attempt for town independence failed.

With the help extended by Senator Rafael Palma and Executive Secretary Antonio Dela Alas, the independence of Teresa was approved and declared by Governor-General Charles E. Yeater on January 1, 1919. Mr. Roberto De Jesus was appointed as the municipal president. Functioning as a town for the second time, Teresa was composed of 3 barrios only namely May-iba, Pantay and San Roque.

After three years of independent existence, the town was able to provide itself with the municipal building on November 8, 1921 which they called Presidencia. On May 10, 1925, the first school building (located in Dalig) was inaugurated.

On June 3, 1919, the first local election was held and Mr. Roberto De Jesus was first officially elected Mayor.

Geographic Location:
Teresa is merely 32 kilometers away from the City of Manila by land transportation. It has an absolute location of 14° 35’ north longitude and 121° 12’ east latitude. It shares boundaries with Antipolo City to the north, the municipality of Tanay to the east, Baras to the southeast, Morong to the south, Binangonan to the southwest, and Angono to the west, all of which belong to the province of Rizal.

Major Income Sources: Agricultural, Livestock - Piggery and Poultry Farms, Industrial, Mining and Quarrying

Tourist Destinations: Integrated Solid Waste Management Recovery Facility (ISWMRF) located in Sitio Pantay, Barangay Dalig. 

Special Events/Festivals: Town Fiesta (1st Sunday of March), Turumba Festival (August 23)

Contact Information:
Address: Municipal Hall, M.L. Quezon Avenue, Barangay Poblacion, Teresa Rizal
Phone: (02) 234-0865 loc. 214
Fax: (02) 661-3641
Email Address: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Website: http://www.teresarizal.gov.ph



Programs Portal

            

         LGU 201 Profile   

            

 
Knowledge Products
 
DILG Intranet

     DILG GovMail     DILG Central Intranet     DILG IV-A Records Tracking System