Income Classification: 1st Class
Congressional District: 2nd District
No. of Barangays: 31
Land Area: 16,838 has.
Population (NSO, May 1, 2010): 95,794
Registered Voters (COMELEC, May 2016): 51,310
Newly Elected Local Officials (2016 Election)
Tiaong, Quezon is 98 kilometers from Manila and a two-hour drive to the South. Tiaong is the first town when you enter Quezon. The small town of Tiaong, Quezon provides a sanctuary for travelers who want to get away from the city. Just a two-hour drive from Manila, the tranquil town of Tiaong, Quezon is a nearby escape for city folks. Tiaong is best known as the home of Mt. Banahaw. It is said that this mystical mountain is what keeps the quiet lazy town that it is. Tiaong is known as an entry point, for the stretch of Maharlika Highway that runs through it on the way to Quezon Province proper. But there is much here that we don't know, and maybe part of its charm is its quiet. While development is slowly coming to Tiaong with the redevelopment of Villa Escudero, which is on the border of Tiaong and San Pablo, the rest of the town remains relatively untouched.
More than three hundred years ago, Tiaong was only a part of the Municipality of San Pablo (now a City) in the Province of Laguna. In 1690, Tiaong became an independent municipality through the effort of a philanthropic, humanitarian nationalistic and a very religious woman living at the outskirts of the town called “Lalig”. She was popularly known as “Donya Tating” or “Tiya” (Auntie) whose habitual chores was to go to church everyday riding a cart drawn by a big black bull. Due to her symphatetic gesture and attitude most especially among the poor, she was dearly loved and respected by the people. Even the parish priest would not start the mass not unless the loud mooing of the bull-“Ooooong” can be heard while entering the churchyard.
The town people as a symbol of their gratitude and affection to the benevolent lady, named their town “Tiya-ong” by merging “Tiya” and the favorable sound of “Ooooong” Henceforth, this town is called Tiaong (Tiya-ong).
Most of the people of Tiaong are Batanguenos coming from the Province of Batangas, particularly from the towns of San Jose, Ibaan, Rosario, Bauan, Taal and Lipa City. Tiaong is more or less 15,239 hectares (16,838 unofficial and not yet confirmed). Originally, there were only fourteen (14) barrios namely, Bana, Bula, Bulakin Cabatang, Cabay, Lagalag, Lalig, Lusacan, Paiisa, Quipot, Buliran, Callejon,Niing and Pury. The last four (4) barrios were separated when Buliran became an independent municipality of October 15, 1957 and was then named San Antonio, Quezon. Perhaps Candelaria was once a part of Tiaong but Dolores, historically speaking was separated from the town of San Pablo to become a municipality in 1879. However, in 1901, during the American regime, Dolores was made a “barrio of Tiaong, but after nine (9) years, in April 11, 1910, Dolores was reverted to a municipality.
The Municipality is located along Maharlika Highway and situated deep in the coconut region of Southern Luzon. It is about 101 kilometers south of Metro Manila and 36 kilometers northwest by Dolores, Quezon; on the south by San Antonio, Quezon; on the southwest by San Juan, Batangas and Sariaya, Quezon; on the east by Candelaria, Quezon and on the west by Lipa City.
Major Income Sources: Agriculture
Tourist Destinations: Ticub Lake, Villa Escudero, White House, UGU Bigyan Pottery
Special Events/Festivals: Mais Festival during the Feast of St. John the Baptist (June 23)
Address: Municipal Hall, Brgy. Poblacion 3, Tiaong, Quezon
Phone:(042) 545-9275 / 545-7001
Fax: (042) 545-9275